- If your garage door is malfunctioning, it’s important to know what steps to take and whether it’s safe to keep using your garage door.
- This blog post covers common commercial garage door repairs and overhead door issues, so you’ll be prepared if something goes wrong.
- We also provide some safety tips on using your garage door until you can repair it.
- If you require repairs in Arlington, TX, Johnny B’s Garage Doors and Service is the company to call!
It’s inevitable. Someday, your garage door is going to break down. Unless you’re one of those few lucky people with a spare room that can double as a garage, you’ll have to call in a maintenance specialist at some point. But what should you do in the meantime? Is it safe to keep using your garage door if it’s malfunctioning? This blog post discusses common commercial garage door repairs and maintenance issues, so you’ll know what steps to take if something goes wrong. We’ll also provide some safety tips on how to use your garage door until you can get it repaired.
Common Garage Door Repair Problems
The tracks your garage door rides on can become misaligned, causing the door to get stuck or not open and close properly. You can usually tell if the tracks are misaligned if you see gaps between the rollers and the tracks. Fixing the problem involves loosening the screws or bolts that hold the tracks in place and tapping the tracks back into alignment. You may also need to file down some rough edges.
Dented Sections and Panels
If your door is made of wood, it is susceptible to dents and scratches. Additionally, the panels can deteriorate due to changes in temperature and humidity and begin to warp over time, presenting an ungainly sight and hindering smooth garage door operations. You can fix this by replacing the damaged sections or panels.
Worn or Damaged Torsion Springs
The torsion springs counterbalance the garage door’s weight so the user can open and close it smoothly. Natural deterioration and years of misuse can cause these springs to become worn or damaged, needing immediate replacement—this job is best left to a professional as it can be hazardous to try it yourself.
Worn Out Sections and Panels
Like anything else that experiences regular use, the sections and panels of your door can start showing signs of deterioration over time. This includes cracks, dents, holes, or any other type of damage. If you notice any damage to your door’s sections or panels, it’s best to call a professional immediately so they can make the necessary repairs before the damage worsens.
Also, Read – Breakdown of Costs for Garage Door Replacement or Repairs
How Garage Door Maintenance Helps Commercial Property Owners Avoid Hefty Repair Costs
As a commercial property owner, you know that maintaining your property is essential to keeping it in good condition and avoiding costly repairs. But did you know that garage door maintenance is also essential?
Your garage door is one of your property’s most frequently used components and is subject to a lot of wear and tear. Neglecting proper garage door maintenance can lead to expensive repairs down the line. That’s why creating and following a regular maintenance schedule is essential.
Here are four garage door maintenance tips that every commercial property owner should follow:
Inspect your garage door regularly
At least once a month, look closely at your door to check for signs of damage. Look for cracks in the door, loose hardware, and rust. If you notice any damage, repair it as soon as possible.
Keep your garage door clean
It’s essential to keep both the garage door interior and exterior clean. A well-maintained, clean door is visually appealing and more resistant to rust and debris accumulation. To clean the outside of the door, use a soft cloth dampened with soapy water. For the inside of the door, use a vacuum with a soft brush attachment to remove dust and dirt buildup.
Lubricate your garage door regularly
Lubricating your door helps keep it operating smoothly and reduces noise levels. Once a month, apply a light coat of lubricant to all moving parts, including hinges, rollers, springs, and tracks. Be sure to wipe away any excess lubricant with a clean cloth.
Check the balance of your garage door
An unbalanced door can lead to premature wear and tear on its components. To check the balance of your door, disconnect the opener from the power source and manually raise or lower the door about halfway. If the door starts to move on its own or feels too heavy, it’s out of balance and needs minor adjustments.
Reasons Why You Should Never, Ever, EVER Attempt DIY Garage Door Repair!
As the old saying goes, “There’s more than one way to skin a cat.” But when it comes to garage door repair, there is only one way to do it right – and that’s by hiring a professional. Here are the top four reasons why you should never attempt DIY garage door repair:
- It is akin to inviting unwarranted danger. Garage doors are cumbersome. And if something goes wrong while repairing, that weight could come crashing down on you. Injuries sustained from garage door repairs gone wrong can range from minor cuts and bruises to serious concussions and even death.
- It’s not as easy as it looks. Just because you watched a YouTube video on changing a tire doesn’t mean you should attempt to do your brake job. The same goes for garage door repair. Yes, it might look easy enough, but trust us – it’s not. Multiple moving parts are involved, and if even one of them isn’t working smoothly, it could cause the entire system to fail.
- You could damage your property. Attempting to DIY your garage door repair can also damage your home or workplace – especially if you’re not experienced in working with large, heavy objects. One wrong move could easily result in a broken window or worse.
- You’ll probably make the problem worse. Even if you don’t cause any physical damage while attempting to repair your garage door, there’s a good chance you’ll end up making the problem worse – and then you’ll have to call a professional anyway. Save yourself time and hassle, and call someone who knows what they’re doing from the start.
No one wants to deal with a broken garage door, especially in the middle of a cold winter night. But it’s important to know whom to call for reliable and affordable repairs when it happens. Johnny B’s Garage Doors and Service is your go-to company for any and all overhead door issues in Arlington, TX. We provide free estimates so you can get an idea of what needs to be done before we even start working. Give us a call today, and let us take care of everything for you!